Sharks




Sharks are mysterious and ancient creatures and very frightening – especially at midnight on a deserted beach. That’s what John said when he woke me up to describe the evening’s adventures. “It was 7 feet long. Over 200 pounds.” That’s what he said. “We were a mile up the beach. It pulled us that far. I wish I’d had a camera. No one is going to believe me.” By breakfast the shark had grown to 8 feet. Failing to comprehend the ardor that my husband felt for shark fishing, I spent our three days on Assateague Island beach walking, reading, napping, writing and meditating on ocean sounds. This is what I decided. (1) As noted above, I don’t care for shark fishing. (2) There is too much sand on the beach. (3) Samoyeds are too large to share a berth with while camping – especially sand covered Samoyeds (See #2). (4) It is not a good idea to leave burgers on the counter when you leave the sand covered Samoyed for two minutes to run outside to check on shark-fishing husband. (5) Make sure you check to make sure the camper is fully provisioned before setting off for the camping trip. Husband had removed spatula and pot for boiling water. (6) There is no place like home.

No comments: