Gusty Evening Light


"Look at that sunset."

Just four words were all it took to make me put down my dish towel and walk onto the deck to join John, Jim and Carol as they admired the last orange glow in the western sky as the sun disappeared behind the trees. Mill Creek was smooth - almost glassy - undisturbed. We were undisturbed. Occasionally an anonymous fish poked a nose through the surface to dine on the evening hatch of invisible insects that only hungry fish can see. He disappeared - leaving only widening ripples. A family of swans headed home. The mother osprey watched from her roost -always alert - ready to chase away whatever threatened her young. Above our heads, the wind worried the tree tops. I lit the lantern and turned it low. Just enough light now to see the contented faces of my husband and friends. I bring out coffee and we sit in silence enjoying the gusty evening light.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.